Vagrant boxes are the package format for Vagrant environments. There are a lot of boxes, but in some cases you need customize your box. You can automatize your bootstrap with a script or chef, but the virtual machine start up consume time. To reduce the bootstrap time, you can create your own custom box.
Once you have started and installed your virtual machine, you can create your own box following the next steps:
- Create a new vm from a base box
Customize you virtual machine
Clean the box
- Package de virtual machine to a new vagrant box
- Add the new box to your vagrant install
- Destroy de virtual machine
- Configure the nex box in your Vagrantfile
Edit the Vagrantfile and configure it.
- Start up the virtual machine
-- 2015-11-04 --
With vagrant 1.7.4, I have had problems to authenticate to the box with private/public keys. To resolve this issues, I have configured the authentication with username/password.